USER RESEARCH INTERNATIONAL PRIVACY STATEMENT
Last Updated: Sep 17, 2019
Your privacy is important to us. This Statement explains how your personal information is collected, used, and disclosed by User Research International and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies (“URI” or “We”). This privacy statement (“Statement”) applies to the websites of URI, including https://www.uriux.com , https://account.uriux.com, https://participate.uriux.com and related services (collectively, “Services”). This Statement does not apply to websites, applications, or services that display or link to different privacy statements.
We collect personal information about you in various ways when you use our Services, depending on how you interact with us, the Services you use, and the choices you make. We collect and process personal information about you with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the Services you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our clients, or fulfil other legitimate interests.
Information You Provide Directly. We collect personal information you provide to us. This personal information is typically collected in profiling surveys that you may complete when signing up to join our participant database or when completing a ‘screener survey’ to see if you would be a good fit for a specific research survey that URI or one of its clients is planning to conduct. For example, when you sign up to join our participant database or participate in or are referred to one of our research surveys, we may collect your name, email address, postal address, phone number, demographics, photograph, and other survey responses. If you will receive compensation as a part of the Services, we may also collect payment and tax information. If you participate in an in-person research survey, we may collect audio or video of the applicable session. Some Services may not be available or function correctly if you are not willing to provide personal information.
Third-party Sources. We may also obtain information from third-party sources and combine that with information we collect on our Services. We protect data obtained from third parties according to the practices described in this statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These third-party sources include:
- Lead sources from which we receive information about potential research survey participants;
- Applications and services, such as social networks, that make users’ information available to others;
- Our clients who have lists of potential participants that they wish to solicit for a particular research survey; and
- Publicly-available sources, such as open government databases or other data in the public domain.
If we receive your information from one of our clients for inclusion in a research survey we are conducting solely on their behalf, your information is subject to their privacy statement and we recommend that you review their privacy statement to better understand how your information is collected, used, and disclosed.
Information Collected Automatically. When you visit our Services, some information is automatically collected. For example, when you visit our websites your computer’s operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type and language, and the website you visited before our site are logged automatically. We also collect information about your usage and activity on our Services.
Web Beacons. We may collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our Services or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
Analytics. Third parties who provide us with analytics services for the Services may also automatically collect some of the information described above, including, for example, IP address, access times, browser type and language, device type, device identifiers and Wi-Fi information. Please consult the respective privacy policies and statements of these third parties for more information, including how Google Analytics uses this data.
USE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use personal information collected through our Services for purposes described in this Statement or otherwise disclosed to you. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- provide and deliver Services, including securing, troubleshooting, improving, and personalizing those Services;
- operate our business, such as improving our internal operations, securing our systems, and detecting fraudulent or illegal activity;
- understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience and enjoyment using our Services and to match you to one of the many research studies that URI or one of its clients is planning to conduct;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- send you related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages, including when confirming your schedule for a research survey, or when sending gratuity information for participating in a research survey;
- communicate with you about promotions and other news about products and services offered by URI and our selected partners, including informing you about upcoming research opportunities for which you may qualify; and
- link or combine information about you with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better and more personalized service.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share personal information with your consent or as necessary to complete your transactions or provide the Services you have requested or authorized. For example, if you provide payment data to receive payment for participating in a research survey, we may share that data with other entities as appropriate for payment processing, fraud prevention, or other related financial services. We may also share information about your participation in a research survey with the company or entity that commissioned the survey.
In addition, we share personal information among our affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal information with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we’ve hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal information to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal information they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal information as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger, transfer, divestiture, or sale of all or a portion of our business or assets.
Finally, we will access, transfer, disclose, and preserve personal information when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
- comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
- protect our clients, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of our Services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
- operate and maintain the security of our Services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
- protect our rights or property, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the Services.
Please note that some of our Services include references or links to products provided by third parties, including our clients, whose privacy practices differ from ours. If you provide personal information to any of those third parties, or consent to our sharing personal information with them, that data is governed by their privacy statements.
We may also share aggregated or deidentified information.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
URI takes reasonable steps to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
LOCATION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information we collect may be stored and processed in your region, in the United States or in any other country where we or our affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities. We maintain primary data centers in the United States. The storage location(s) are chosen in order to operate efficiently, to improve performance, and to create redundancies in order to protect the data in the event of an outage or other problem. We take steps designed to ensure that the data we collect under this statement is processed according to the provisions of this statement and applicable law wherever the data is located.
When we transfer personal information from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to other countries, some of which have not been determined by the European Commission to have an adequate level of data protection, we use a variety of legal mechanisms, including contracts, in an effort to help ensure your rights and protections. To learn more about the European Commission’s decisions on the adequacy of personal information protections, please visit: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en.
STORAGE AND RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide services requested by you, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different data types in the context of different services, actual retention periods can vary significantly based upon user expectations, consent, sensitivity of data, and the availability of automated controls that enable the deletion of data. The criteria used to determine retention include:
- How long is the personal information needed to provide applicable services, including services to our client who you elect to participate in a research survey for? This includes such things as maintaining and improving the performance of the Services, enabling system security measures, and maintaining appropriate business and financial records.
- Do users provide, create, or maintain the data with the expectation we will retain it until they affirmatively remove it? In such cases, we may maintain the data until actively deleted by the user.
- Is the personal information of a sensitive type? If so, a shortened retention time may be appropriate.
- Are we subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain the data? Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve data, or data that must be retained for the purposes of litigation.
YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Access, Correction, and Deletion. If you wish to ask for access, correction, or deletion of any of your personal information held by us or a change in the way we use your information (for which we reserve the right to charge you a fee, as permitted by applicable law), please contact us at: email@example.com. However, we may decline requests that are unreasonable, excessive, or prohibited by law, could adversely affect the privacy or other rights of another person, or where we are unable to authenticate you as the person to whom the data relates.
Communication Preferences. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from URI by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations. You may also send requests about your contact preferences, changes to your information including requests to opt-out of sharing your personal information with third parties by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cookie Controls. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Site.
Analytics. Our third-party analytics and advertising partners may provide you with options to opt-out of certain information collection. For more information about the applicable choices they provide you, please visit: Google Analytics.
Do Not Track. There are many ways through which web browser signals and other similar mechanisms (for example, “Do Not Track”) can indicate your choice to disable tracking, and, while we and others give you choices described in this Statement, we do not currently honor these mechanisms.
YOUR EUROPEAN PRIVACY RIGHTS
If the processing of personal information about you is subject to European Union data protection law, you have certain rights with respect to that data:
- You can request access to, and rectification or erasure of, personal information;
- If any automated processing of personal information is based on your consent or a contract with you, you have a right to transfer or receive a copy of your personal information in a usable and portable format;
- If the processing of personal information is based on your consent, you can withdraw consent at any time for future processing;
- You can object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of personal information under certain circumstances; and
- For residents of France, you can send us specific instructions regarding the use of your data after your death.
To make such requests, contact us at email@example.com. When we are processing data on behalf of another party that is the “data controller,” you should direct your request to that party. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, but we encourage you to first contact us with any questions or concerns.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
URI may change this Statement from time to time. If we make any changes to this Statement, we will change the “Last Updated” date above or by providing such notice about or obtaining consent to changes as may be required by applicable law.
If you have any questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact us at:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: (425)-242-8030
Postal address: 17602 NE Union Hill Rd., Redmond, WA 98052